Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Antici-(turkey)-pation


For many years, I have enjoyed watching the shows about spring turkey hunting. Let’s face it, this is normally an off season for hunting, so a spring hunt sounds great, rather than just waiting for the fall (unless you also fish like me in which case you are already too busy getting ready to or actually fishing).

Living in Alaska for the last 34 years eliminated any chance of doing this unless I travelled. Now I live in Wisconsin, so out came all the books, videos, and watching all the shows on TV or the internet! The trail cams were set, the pictures analyzed, the area scouted, the permits obtained. Today was my first ever Turkey hunt.

My blind was set up yesterday. Inside were my decoys, to be deployed when I got there this morning. The alarm went off, and I slipped out of bed without awakening my wife or the dogs (minor miracle). I got my coffee, dressed, filled the thermoses, and headed out.

On the way to the blind, I actually spooked a gobbler out of his roost and saw him take off (good sign) even if he was not even near where I was hunting. At least I saw one during the season (deer hunters know what I mean). I reached my blind, and set out the decoys. I sat down, made sure I could reach the calls (various types from seeing all those shows) and got ready.

Problem 1; the seat leaned too far forward. This would make it difficult to see the bird and shoot. Solution, collapse the rear feet and the seat was flat.

Problem 2; seat too low, and I would probably hit the edge of the blind when I shot if I did not remember to sit up or get a higher seat. I was already using my official turkey seat and booster from my turkey hunter vest. Solution; bring a chair next trip.
Problem 3; two thermoses of coffee, and I would have to leave t
he blind several times when my body processed the stimulant drink. Solution, bring a can next time to urinate in!

I had reached the blind about 5:45 am, just as legal shooting time began. At 7:00 am, there was a shrieking sound. I did not know for sure what it was, but it got the attention of the 2 deer about 50 yards to my right. Too bad it was not deer season. Around 8:00, a squirrel entertained me along with quite a few crows. 9:30 and a gobbler sounded off along the ridge behind me, and several minutes later the squirrel did an encore. More gobbling at 10:00 and a buck grunted behind me at 10:30. This was all great, but I wanted visible turkeys, bearded types.

Finally at 11:30, I went back to the house for lunch, and to pick up what was needed to fix my earlier mistakes.

I was back at the blind bay 1:30 pm. I had brought a higher chair, and a bucket. The rest of the day was uneventful except for the gobbling at 4:20.

I finally withdrew as the sun started to set.


Thus ended my first day as a turkey hunter. Failure; no way. I had been out hunting. I learned from my mistakes, and had a lot of fun learning how little I knew about my turkey calls. They sound so good at the house; and so bad in the field. Tomorrow morning I will be back out there; better prepared and less ignorant. Of course, it did not help to learn the daughter of the person from whom you are trying to buy guinea fowl got one earlier in the day.

It is called hunting, not killing. I have 4 more days on my permit. I really need to get one to be sure I can get it right for my wife. Her permit activates in 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment