Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Turkey fever

Turkey season opens next week. I have a permit for the opening period beginning April 15th. Since this will be my first ever chance to hunt Spring Turkey, I am excited and studying everything I can find. All these months of work and chores have been to have time freely available for my hunting and fishing.

So far, I have been getting the remote trail cameras out to see what was around. I have captured a few pictures, and located other sign. Today I walked the entire perimeter of my property. This is something I wanted to do for quite a while, but work kept me too busy until the snow came. Then it was too hazardous. Now it is snow free and dry enough to try the walk. I made it all the way around, even reaching the highest spot on the property. This has been especially useful to compare the topographic charts and aerial photos with what is on the ground. I also enjoyed getting more familiar with the property.

During today’s hike, I even managed to spot a turkey (probably a hen) running across one of the open fields. Good news from my point of view, since I love seeing them in life even more than with the trail cameras. Hopefully, all this sign will pay off on opening day.
Early this morning, just before sunrise, I heard some crows calling (hardly out of the ordinary). However, today they were answered with some gobbles (just like on the TV shows).

No comments:

Post a Comment