Friday, April 24, 2009

Chapter 4; THE NEW HOPE

OK, so I was a bit bummed about not getting my turkey. Nevertheless, I have hunted and fished for enough years to know I do not always return with the game. Look at how long I hunted this past deer season before getting anything.

Of course, I never give up. I may not win, but I keep trying. I checked out a possible lead and I was able to get a second chance this season. Unused permits are available “over the counter”. A quick check of the WI DNR website showed some remained for the final session (week) of the season. I suspect they were still available because that is the worst time period. Who cares? At least I can get out and try again. I ordered another permit last Wednesday. Now I can get totally excited all over again. However, first I have to concentrate on getting the wife her bird next week.

Turkeys also have a sick sense of humor. Last week I was out every day looking and calling. No turkeys, just a few sounds (which was eventually good – see the last blog). Two hours ago (7:45 am; April 24), I looked out the front window towards the neighbor's place and overlooking the area to become our garden. Standing out in the open, as bold as could be, were several turkeys. I called the wife to the window and we got quite a chuckle out of it. One even walked up the driveway to our pond. They have done this before, but never during turkey season (now session two of six). I grabbed the binoculars and checked them out. All I could clearly see were hens. A flock of gobblers would have really been hard to take.

Finally, one got tired of looking around the driveway and flew straight at the house, passing just above the window and into the back. Very impressive flying and a big bird.

Now I feel revitalized and looking more toward the wife’s turn as well as my second chance. Hearing them is one thing, but seeing is better. Now if they would just do the same thing next Saturday morning, when the wife is off work . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment