Wednesday, April 29, 2009

They are laughing at me

My wife’s Wisconsin turkey permit activates today (Wednesday, April 29). We have both been looking forward to this, although she will not get to seriously try her luck until the weekend. Work has a habit of messing up the important things in life!






Like any good husband, I went out and pulled in the trail cams to see what was going on. (OK, it also helps me get ready and map out activity for my late season permit that arrived in the mail on Monday) Of the three spots covered, only one showed turkey activity. Of course, this was the location where I wasted 3 days during my permit period. However, it was certainly heavily utilized. There were also many shots of raccoons and some deer, as well as a squirrel. If nothing else, I know the trail cams are working.



The high probability site has been selected, and I placed one of the cameras to keep an eye on things until the weekend.

Last evening, I made a few casts at the pond, trying to get more comfortable with a Carolina rig for bass. I worked a floating worm near the inlet when a heavy flutter of wings caught my attention. A large turkey came off the hill beside my house and flew directly over my head. He continued across the road, landed on the upward slope of my neighbor’s yard, and calmly walked into the woods. That certainly caught my attention. Five minutes later, another roared along the length of the pond and so low I could have hit him with my fishing rod. He passed over my left should, cleared the roof of the barn (barely), and landed just beyond. This was getting to be too much. Either something was happening up the hill beside the house or the turkeys were mocking me! Owls may fly silently, but turkeys are easy to hear when low overhead.

Shortly past midnight, we were awakened by several coyotes howling.

No comments:

Post a Comment